Developing ecommerce platform with Django Oscar
In this talk I’m going to describe from A to Z, how using Django and Django Oscar design complex modern ecommerce platform to buy, sell, supply and exchange goods.
Tags: Business & Start-Ups, Code-Review, Django
Scheduled on wednesday 12:20 in room media
Django consultant from Ukraine with 7yrs+ experience, Django-Oscar core developer and open-source contributor.
Modern technologies has changed the way how we buy and sell in the Internet nowadays. Thus, we also constantly evolve the way how we build projects to sell and buy goods using our technologies of choice - Python and Django. Ease of customization and flexibility made Oscar application of my choice for building custom ecommerce platforms on top of Django, allowing to satisfy client requirements without necessity of implementing solution from scratch, since Oscar have ready-made applications for basket, checkout, shipping etc, available for the further tweak and refinement.
I’ve been using and contributing to Django Oscar since 2015, designed and supported various ecommerce projects in different fields (food, accessories, shoes) and sizes during this time. In this talk I’m going to share some of the experience and conclusions about building complex ecommerce platform using Django, and eventually, Django Oscar.
I will go through the next topics:
- architecture approaches (synchronous app vs SPA);
- frontend (VueJS, React etc);
- API (Django REST Framework and Oscar-API);
- payment method integration;
- multiple currencies, exchange rate and conversion;
- custom pricing policies (sale price, wholesale prices);
- single-page checkout;
- substandard discounting systems (buyers club, bonus points system);
- user roles and permissions (users, admins, partners) and data management;
- Oscar pros and cons (when to use and when not to use).